Fifth Regiment Infantry

Veteran Corps

Veteran Corps 1929

I am a member of several veterans’ organizations, one which is the Veteran Corps Fifth Regiment Infantry, MDNG. The Fifth Regiment Infantry has a distinguished history. You might find interesting the following article taken from the Baltimore Sun dated March 2, 1909 which indicates a healing from the wounds of the Civil War still being sought a decade before the First World War. The Veterans Corps still meets in the Armory mentioned in the article. They are looking for new members.

Massachusetts Guardsmen Guests of Fifth Maryland

Dixie and Yankee Blend

The Sun

Tuesday, March 2, 1909

With every man cheery with anticipation of Maryland hospitality, the Fifth Massachusetts Infantry arrived in Baltimore to be the guest of the Fifth Maryland Regiment. Swinging along the streets between lines of applauding people, the visitors marched from Camden Station, where the regiment detrained, to the Fifth Regiment Armory.

In the course of the street parade the regiment was reviewed by Governor Crothers, who had his station on the steps of the home of City Collector Brown, at Charles and Read Streets. The Governor’s eyes lighted with appreciation of the martial spectacle as platoon after platoon of trig, blue clad men marched by and gave him the salute prescribed for a reviewing dignitary.

At 12:30 P.M. the entire regiment was detrained and, forming on Camden Street, took up the march for the armory. The column was headed by a platoon of mounted police under the command of Lieutenant Peregoy, these being the only mounted men in the parade.

Into Howard Street the column swung, the band playing as its first tune the marching song composed for the trip. At its conclusion the musicians struck up “Maryland My Maryland”, and followed this to the accompaniment of tumultuous cheers, with all the southern melodies in its repertoire.

The regiment marched up Howard Street and into Liberty, continuing out Cathedral Street to Monument, where the turn was made into Charles Street. Past the Governor and his staff the long blue column marched, turning into Chase Street to St. Paul, out that street to Mount Royal Avenue and then to Lafayette Avenue, where the column turned off at Bolton Street to march to the armory. The line of march all along the way was crowded with spectators.

The Massachusetts regiment’s uniform was the dress uniform, and each man wore slung from shoulder to waist a pack containing his blanket and toilet articles wrapped inside his overcoat. The blue covering made by the overcoats was peculiarly attractive, as it not only blended with the color of the uniform blouses, but showed skill and neatness in transporting what is usually a bulky package.

A prominent figure in the formation of the Fifth Massachusetts was Lieut. Col. S. Maynard Rogers, Commanding the Forty-Third Canadian Regiment (the Dude of Cornwall’s Own Rifles). Colonel Rogers wore a striking uniform, consisting of black trousers and short black tunic, with a khaki-colored helmet surrounded by a green band, edged with red, with a helmet cord depending from it. Over his breast he wore a baldric, on which was the silver insignia of the Duke of Cornwall’s regiment. Over the baldric was hung a double silver chain, with a whistle on the end fitting into a silver socket. On his left breast he wore a long-service medal and war medals for service in South Africa and the Riel Rebellion in Canada.

When the regiment arrived at the armory long tables, set and spread, were ready for the hungry visitors. Under the direction of Capt. E.B. DuVal, commissary of the regiment, a substantial luncheon was served the enlisted men. The caterer was Taylor, and the food was cooked in the armory kitchen.

The officers of the Massachusetts regiment was entertained by the officers of the Fifth Regiment in the headquarters room, where there was a satisfying buffet luncheon waiting. The luncheon was preceded by the famous Fifth Regiment champagne cocktail, which, the visitors were informed, is a Sunday morning tradition among the regiment’s officers when it is in camp.

After the luncheon the Fifth Maryland’s quartermaster issued cots to the Massachusetts men and “camp” was made. After that the regimental band of the visiting regiment, under the direction of Chief Musician John M. Flockton, gave a concert, which was repeated in the evening.

The marching song, played and sung to the air of “Dixie” with variations of other Southern melodies woven in it, was written for the trip by Lieut. James D. Coady, who, when he is not a soldier, is city editor of the Enterprise, of Charlestown, Mass. The song was sung by the men in the armory, and is as follows:

We’re off for the South, the dear sunny South,

The home of the Maryland Fifth:

Where orioles sing and happiness bring –

Though happiness there is no myth –

To that golden shore, the great Baltimore,

We are pushing our steps fast and hard:

For to chorus our joys with the Maryland boys,

And to drink to the National Guard.

Chorus.

Union forever, Dixie and Yankee land –

These two together can stay any tyrant hand;

Whip to a “frazzle” every foe of foreign hue,

Dixie and Yankee for the Red, White and Blue.

De-lighted” we are and “happy as Punch”

The Fifth is to honor “our Bill”,

And wish that we could in tribute include

The hero of San Juan Hill;

But Teddy, our pride, with gun by his side

Soon goes to a jungle or park

To ride a giraffe – yes, horses may laugh –

On a 90-mile clip through the dark.

Chorus

Now birds of a feather, they say, flock together,

And this seems a proverb quite true;

For five years ago, the records will show,

That Baltimore old became new,

The oriole bird by fire was stirred,

The phoenix soon proved its fair mate,

And from ashes arose to a glorious pose –

This city, the pride of the State.

Chorus

Officers of the visiting regiment are being entertained at the Hotel Altamont by the officers of the Fifth Maryland.

The Fifth Maryland is repaying the courtesy of the Fifth Massachusetts when the latter, in 1876, entertained the Marylanders. The Fifth Maryland went to Boston to participate in the ceremonies of the battle of Bunker Hill, and since that time it has always been the intention of the men of the Fifth Maryland to entertain the Massachusetts men at the first opportunity.

In the evening Company F of the Fifth Maryland, under the command of Capt. James P. Houston, gave a smoker to Company F of the Massachusetts outfit. Pipes, tobacco and accompanying things were supplied.

Most of the visitors, however, preferred to see Baltimore, and they scattered around town throughout the day and evening. Many had cameras and kodaks and were busying taking views of the city’s attractive points.

The Fifth Massachusetts will leave today for Washington, boarding a troop train at Mount Royal Avenue at 2 P.M. In Washington headquarters will be established at Convention Hall, where the regiment will camp until the inauguration for President Taft is over.